July 13, 2023 - Eureka!


After being disappointed by Erik Fiske of Tony's Train Exchange, I was up very late on July 11, 2023, searching online for persons/companies that could convert my Standard-DC Bachmann 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive to DCC. I found Train Freak Hobbies and emailed them through their support email. I told them the following:
  • Brand
  • Wheel Arrangement
  • Purchased From
  • What I Generally Wanted - DCC Decoder/Sound/New Lighting
  • Provided Pictures Of Product

I checked my email on July 12, 2023, to find that I had not received a response from Train Freak Hobbies. That's when I contacted my friend, Daniel Waite, in Colorado who has a YouTube Channel called Dan's Grand Valley RR. I emailed Dan hoping that he or his friend, Mike, could help me convert the Bachmann 0-60 Steam Locomotive to DCC. I explained the situation and sent the same pictures I had sent Train Freak Hobbies. Sadly, Dan and Mike are equally knowledgeable as I am when it comes to converting DC locomotives to DCC.


On July 13, 2023, I received an email from Jason Wilson of Train Freak Hobbies. I was almost afraid to open it, to tell the truth. I could have been knocked over with a feather when Jason told me that it could be done with some additional work.

From what I was told in the email, everything in the steam locomotive would have to be rewired and have the wires run through a harness to the tender. Jason also uses decoders that have both DCC and Sound in one decoder. With the tender not having wheel pickups, I'd also need a current keeper attached to the decoder so that it wouldn't lose power on turnouts and such. The funny thing is that Jason didn't say anything about replacing the bulb lights using LED lights in the steam locomotive and modifying the tender light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 29, 2023 - Locomotive As A Load Project - Part One

July 10, 2023 - Done With Tony's Train Exchange

June 24, 2023 - AHM MDT/35-Ton Plymouth Diesel Switcher